Double Murder Update: Sigtuna Deny Rumours About the Mother
Electricity was never disconnected; Welfare was never denied
September 23, 2011 at 19:19, Updated: 23 September 2011 at 20:10
To stop the spread of rumors and false information in the case of two murdered brothers, Sigtuna Municipality has decided to release confidential information on how they dealt with the matter. Meanwhile, both the National Social Welfare Board and the Schools Inspectorate are reviewing the municipality’s conduct in the case.
“It is disastrous that this has happened. How can we develop a system that increases the chances of detecting that this is happening?”, asked the head of Sigtuna Municipality’s Social Services, Jan Hellström.
The National Social Welfare Board has previously received complaints about Sigtuna’s social welfare management approach to matters concerning children, which has now made the authority to launch an investigation.
The Schools Inspectorate, in turn, wants to check how the municipality deals with the fact that the older boy, 8-year-old, did not come to school after the summer vacation.
“We have read and responded to the municipality information posted on their website. We will request a statement from the municipality on how their procedures for monitoring school attendance look like”, said the Agency’s General Counsel, Marie Axelsson.
She could not draw conclusions on the school’s actions, but noted that compulsory schooling is a shared responsibility between school, parents and the community.
“It is very important to be active, not to let go or give up, except try to get in touch with the home until the child comes to school”, says Marie Axelsson.
According to the municipality of Sigtuna, a lot of information that has circulated in the media in recent days has been wrong. Now it has decided to drop the confidentiality involving their role in the issue with the murder suspect, in order to stop the spread of rumors and inaccuracies.
This includes dismissing information that the murder suspect was denied income support. “The mother has never been denied income support. She requested and obtained an application form but did not return it”.
That the family lived in misery is not something the municipality knew. On August 28, the mother and her 4-year-old son met staff members from his preschool. She was then carrying two large shopping bags.
After the summer vacation, the mother had the first contact with the school and preschool, and said that the children were sick. As late as August 30, she still claimed that they had tonsillitis and chickenpox.
“Common infectious diseases of childhood normally keep children at home up to two weeks,” wrote Greger Svensson in a press statement.
It has also been claimed that the family’s electricity was disconnected. It should never have been. This allegation has been double-checked with the power company, according to the municipal director, Greger Svensson.
The municipality decided on Friday to “bring in an outside investigator with high integrity to get the most multi-pronged version of our actions as possible.”
Translation: KSB staff