Transcript of the Muthaura Tape recording
Am central in this government
Nothing happens in this government which I don’t know
I have been in government for too long because I am a professional
Am pleading with you not to… but there are ways that you can help
Can you act too quickly to assist us?
You are right, we are with you.
Bwana Muthaura, is it wrong for us to…
- Am a very humble person
- Why hold government officers responsible for what they are supposed to do?
- We need some help without necessarily abusing the courts and talking about the need for…
- What is the police supposed to do when killings are going on?
- Government had to do something to prevent civil war
- We shall get you professional lawyers and political scientists at university to advise us how to assist you.
- They shall come up with powerful articles to advise us on what to write and not to write.
- Bwana Ambassador, your sentiments are understandable, we shall do everything to protect you, we shall go for it…
- Very many people have come to us for assistance to set up people, but we are not ready to do this, we have integrity and vision
- Things will be confidential, believe and trust in us.
- The accusations which they are putting on me… together with Ali (Commissioner of Police)…
- Am chairman of National Security Advisory Committee
Everything is done by consensus in accordance with the law. Even the Attorney General is a member of that…
- If you are an adviser, you cannot take the highest responsibility. The person who advises you to advise the police should take the highest responsibility that is why it is an advisory body
- I advised the police on what to do
- Police had no option but to act according to magnitude of the problem
- Police targeted those who were burning houses and petrol stations. Somebody burning a petrol station, is that not a bomb? This is a thug. What options were there for the police?
- If demonstrators in Kibera or Kisumu were Luos, then obviously they become the victims, not that they were the targets.
- I instructed the police not to stop MUNGIKI because I had to support PNU and my course.
- It was ridiculous to ask Commissioner of Police to stop the MUNGIKI.
- You are right
- I will buy them lunch.
END OF TRANSCRIPT
The Valentine Party scheduled for today, Saturday February 12th at Sollentuna has been cancelled. According to Mr. Samson Mande, the Chairperson of the Network for Africans Unity, the organization behind the Party, the postponement has been precipitated by bad weather and breakdown in public transport system. According to Mr. Mande, a sustained snow-storm in the last two days has disrupted transport networks in Sweden and under the circumstances, it is no longer tenable to proceed with the Valentine Party. Mr. Mande told KSB that the Network’s leadership regrets any inconveniences that might be cause to those who were destined for the Party and promised that the Network will organize a new bash in the near future. He thanked members of the African community for their continued support of the Network’s activities.